The latest update that State of Decay 2 received is called Zedhunter and the developers in charge of the game promised that they are also working on a “new difficulty experience”. The developers didn’t want to reveal too much information about the new difficulty level when they announce it last year, but now, it has been revealed during the latest Inside Xbox event.
Dacey Willoughby is a Senior Producer and Undead Labs and he took to the stage during Xbox Inside in order to announce that the new update for State of Decay 2 is going to be called “Choose Your Own Apocalypse” and that it will introduce new difficulties, as promised.
Choose Your Own Apocalypse Update
The two difficulties that are being introduced by the new update are called Dread Zones and Nightmare Zones. What’s great about these difficulties is that they are giving veteran players a reason to keep coming back for more while also making the game more fun for new players.
#1 Dread Zones
- Threat level is elevated, making sieges at your base more frequent and more dangerous.
- Hordes are larger and more frequent, and some of them wear armor.
- Zombie attacks do more damage and cause more injuries.
- Zombies are no longer visible on the mini-map unless your active character has the Scouting skill.
- Zombies will spend longer chasing a noise before losing interest.
- Blood Plague is more infectious and kills you faster (death can occur within 30 minutes of infection).
- Hostile NPCs can survive a headshot or two before dying.
#2 Nightmare Zones
Nightmare Zones have all the same challenges as Dread Zones, plus the following:
- There are significantly more freaks and hordes in the world.
- Zombies have an extremely long memory for where noises came from.
- Bloaters, screamers, and ferals can travel in packs.
- Blood plague is even more virulent (death can occur within 10 minutes of infection).
- Plague hearts are more abundant.
- Hostile NPCs can take even more headshots before dying.
- Hostile NPCs have a chance to headshot the player, bringing them near death.
- There are even fewer resources and items to be found out in the world.
- Many of the sites in each map have been completely looted before you can even get there.
- Vehicles are even rarer, and tend to show up broken-down and out of gas.